Bring a refreshing look to your kitchen with the super trendy white subway tile backsplash, creating a clean and attractive aesthetic to impress your guests. For those who spend a lot of time in the kitchen, the heart of the home, it is important to create a stylish look that you will love for years to come.
The achieve the white subway tile look in your kitchen, it really doesn’t matter the size, though the classic white ceramic is 3″x6″. To step away from traditional subway tile, alternatives include beveled, glossy, matte, crackle, square, herringbone, brick, handmade, or even marble, natural stone, or glass. If you are looking for a twist on traditional, try switching up the size to a 2×6 or 2×8 or 2×4 — the proportions can really change the aesthetic of your kitchen… so can the grout color!
Note: Have a look below for some fabulous ideas that include resource and designer information and even a kitchen that includes a floor plan! For more kitchen inspiration, may we suggest: 30+ Beautiful and inspiring light-filled kitchens with white countertops and 24 Sensational white dream kitchens you must see.
Tell Us: Which one of these white subway tile backsplash ideas most inspired you and why in the Comments below!
1. In this light-filled kitchen, the cabinet paint color is Navajo White 947 | Benjamin Moore. The backsplash tile is a 3″x6″ tile – Pratt & Larson C609 metallic glazed ceramic tile. (LDa Architecture & Interiors)
2. In this elegant kitchen, the cabinets are painted in White Dove OC-17 | Benjamin Moore with a dry oyster glaze by Elmwood Kitchens. They are complemented by Calcutta Gold marble countertops and a 3 x 6 Crackle White subway tile backsplash. Grout is Delorean Gray H160 by Laticrete.
The hardware is Amerock Rochdale Collection in graphite. Under-cabinet LED lights add energy efficiency. The sink is a Kohler Indio under mount cast iron sink with a Danze Parma spring faucet. The island was purchased at an antique shop in Virginia. The pendant light fixture is from The Home Depot. The floors are Red Oak. Dimensions: 14 ‘ x 13′. Island 2.5′ x 4’. (via DesignLine Home Transformations)
3. All the cabinetry (besides the island) is painted in White Dove OC-17 | Benjamin Moore. The Island color is Graystone 1475 | Benjamin Moore. The countertop material is Bianco Carrara Marble. The backsplash is a white subway tile from Waterworks. Kitchen faucet: Dornbracht – Tara Classic.
The counter stools are from the Holly Hunt showroom. The range is a BlueStar #5000-Violet Blue, 48-inch RNB series with Pro-Line. The hood is the Pyramid hood Model number BS-PC48240. The dimensions of the island are 7′-6″x3′-6″. The pendant lights are the Slender Glass Cylinder from DK Living. The flooring is Southern Yellow Pine. (via Siemasko + Verbridge)
4. This elegant white kitchen features a backsplash of white subway tile mixed with a herringbone subway tile. Countertops are Silestone quartz with inset cabinets and stainless steel appliances. (via 7 Sisters Interiors)
5. A country house in New York State features custom cabinets painted in Decorator’s White CC-20 | Benjamin Moore. The countertops are soapstone and Carrara marble. The integrated drainboards are a great added feature. The white subway backsplash has a glossy finish. The tile dimensions are roughly 3″ x 6″.
The dishwasher brand is Bosch. Stools are from Ballard Designs. The flooring is a Natural Finish, wide-planked white Oak flooring in varying widths. Dimensions: The refrigerator wall is 16′-3″ And the depth of the room is 17′-8″. (via Crisp Architects)
6. In this beautiful kitchen, the 3’x8′ island is Storm Gray in Dura Supreme. The hardware has an antique brass finish, from TopKnobs. The 4.25″ x 8.5″ white matte subway backsplash tile pops with charcoal gray grout lines. The countertops are Silestone Quartz in Cemento Suede and Promenade in a matte finish. The floating wood shelves are Knotty Alder from Dura Supreme Cabinetry. The hanging hardware is from Etsy but serves just as decor. The shelves are actually mounted to the wall.
Hood: ZLKF1-Wall Mount Range Hood, 30″, Standard Chimney. Pendant lights are by Thomas O’Brien, found on Horchow. The wall paint color is Conservative Gray by Sherwin-Williams. The ceiling is tongue and groove planks, painted white. This kitchen is approximately 15′ x 25′ including the breakfast area. (via Advance Design Studio)
7. This craftsman-style kitchen spotlights the perfect balance of shape and pattern. The white square subway tile is 4″x4″ in Calcite. On the floor, an 8″ Hexagon in Antique. Both are from Fireclay Tile (eco-friendly, handmade tile). (via Fireclay Tile)
8. The highlight and the starting point of this kitchen is the original hex tile flooring in white and gold. The countertop is honed Calacatta Gold marble, sealed with Dupont Bulletproof sealer. The handmade 3″ x 6″ white subway tiles are glossy, placed on the entire wall for a vintage, yet updated feel.
The grout is similar to Custom Building Products (CBP) Rolling Fog, #544. The countertops are walnut wood. The fridge is a Sub-Zero, while the sink is Rohl. The gorgeous sconces were manufactured by Visual Comfort. The pendant lights are the Thomas O’Brien Gale 1 Light 11-inch. (via Bradshaw Designs)
9. In this elegant kitchen, the cabinetry is from Signature Custom Cabinetry in traditional white paint. The 115″ x 50″ island is from Signature Custom Cabinetry in traditional ebony paint. Hardware: Manufacturer: Classic brass Model: 1019-SN. The perimeter countertops are Caesarstone, polished “Lagos Blue”, the island countertop is Polished Quartzite, “Supreme White” and the bar countertop is Polished Granite, “Supreme White”.
The backsplash is a 3″x6″ white beveled subway tile. Appliances include a Subzero Refrigerator – Model BI-48S/S, Wolf Double Oven – model DO30F/S, Best by Broan (hood), model K260A42SS, and a 424 Free-Standing Wine Storage. The light fixtures are the Pelham Pendant by Hudson Valley. Wall paint is Storm AF-700 | Benjamin Moore. The floors are Stained oak, while the area rug is a GISLEV Rug, low-pile. (via Venegas and Company)
10. A large island, with seating for five, houses a prep sink and microwave. The island countertop is Silverwater Quartzite. The cabinets are by Woodharbor, the color is Flint AF-560 | Benjamin Moore. The white is White Dove OC-17 | Benjamin Moore. The subway tile is a 3″x6″ rectangle field tile in White Gloss, from Adex. Kichler Pendant lights can be found at Walmart.
The range hood is a GE Monogram 48” Stainless Steel Professional Hood. The floor is a field-installed and finished tongue in groove oak floor. Try Minwax Jacobean for a similar look. Dimensions: 20′ x 15′ and the island is 120″ x 48″. (via The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn)
11. This beautiful kitchen features an oversized built-in Subzero fridge, Kohler Whitehaven self-trimming Apron Front Single Basin Sink, a Brizo Tresa Single Handle Kitchen Faucet, Chrome, a Bosch SHV68TL3UC 24 Inch Fully Integrated Dishwasher, and a KitchenAid Fully Integrated Trash Compactor. The range is Wolf 48″ Dual Fuel Range with grill. The cabinet color is Maple wood with the Glacier painted finish and the GO20 sheet top coat by Grabill Custom Cabinetry. The pulls are the Acsendra line from Top Knobs.
The perimeter countertops are Caesarstone 5110 Alpine Mist with a 3×6 white subway tile from Market Collection. The grout is Custom grout brand #386 Oyster Gray. The island countertop is from Grothouse. It is Edge Grain Cherry with Sapwood, JFK stain with hand-rubbed black glaze, distressed, and a Durata matte finish. The walls are painted in Revere Pewter HC-172 | Benjamin Moore. (via MainStreet Design Build)
12. The stain on this Reclaimed Chestnut cabinetry is a Honey stain, over a Van Dyke glaze. The appliance integrated into the cabinetry is a microwave drawer. The countertops are marble, while the subway tile backsplash is from the Grove Brickworks line from Waterworks. The cup pulls are in an Oil Rubbed Bronze finish. Dishes are displayed on three floating shelves, fabricated from Reclaimed Chestnut. A similar light fixture is the Hatteras Bay collection from Kichler. (via Crown Point Cabinetry)
13. The island is Super White Quartzite (polished) and the counters are Cambrian Black Antiqued Granite. The cabinets are White Dove OC-17 | Benjamin Moore and the walls are pure white 3×6 subway tile to the ceiling. Hardware: Chatham pulls from Restoration Hardware. The floor is a sand-in-place white oak wide plank floor.
It was stained with Minwax dark walnut and finished with a Bona Traffic top coat. The counter stools are weathered oak from Restoration Hardware. The lights are the Aspen Pendant in Black Rust from Visual Comfort. The reproduction wooden sign came from an Antique Marketplace in Portland, OR. Island Dimensions: 4’4″ x 9′ 8″. (via Tracy Herbert Interiors)
14. The countertop is Carrara marble, honed. The sink is a Rohl C3018WH Shaws – Fireclay Apron Front – White. The sconces above the windows are the Monroe Wall Sconce No. 771. The island lights are the Yoke Pendant, while the semi-flush mount fixtures are the Short School House Flush Mount. At the island, the Tolix metal counter stools can be found at Walmart. Lining the back of the cabinet on the right wall is the Silvergate wallpaper from Farrow & Ball. (via KitchenLab Interiors)
15. The cabinets in this gorgeous kitchen are custom. The perimeter countertop is Caesarstone 4030, and the color is called Pebble. The island is a granite, color Bianco Carrara. The backsplash tile is a polished Carrara marble. Above the range is a Carrara marble herringbone “picture frame” edged with a chair rail. The grout color is Silverado. The cabinetry hardware is by Belwith Keeler.
The microwave is a Sharp, model number KB6524SS. The light fixture is by Crystorama and can be purchased at Horchow. The walls are painted in Benjamin Moore’s Chelsea Gray, while the trim is painted Paper White by Benjamin Moore. The stools are the Lem Piston Stool – Design Within Reach. The island is 78″ x 36″. Floors are natural maple hardwood. (via Normandy Remodeling)