Gray kitchens have a timeless sophistication and they are suitable for various design styles to create an overall chic aesthetic for cooking and entertaining. When it comes to kitchen color trends, gray is a popular color. This hue is classic, stylish, and endlessly versatile and can be used in your cabinetry, walls, backsplash tile, and countertops.
Create a dramatic look in your kitchen with a matte gray, or more of an industrial look with metallics, chrome, and steel. Make your island the statement piece of your kitchen by painting it in a deeper or contrasting color to the perimeter cabinets. Lighter shades of gray are elegant and sophisticated, while steely, charcoals, and graphites will add a moody, dramatic feel to your space.
There are numerous ways to design your dream kitchen, just have a look below at our collection of inspiring gray kitchen designs that will tempt you to consider introducing gray hues into your own space. Below each image is resource information and links to the designers of each project.
Tell Us: Which one of these kitchen ideas most inspired you and why in the Comments below!
1. The kitchen perimeter cabinetry is Brookhaven I, Winterhaven Raised door style in maple wood in vintage lace finish, and the kitchen island cabinetry is Brookhaven I, Winterhaven raised door style in maple wood in vintage nimbus finish. Countertops are Taj Mahal Quartzite. The backsplash of this kitchen is Transceramica French Clay 4” x 11 ½” field tile color: Automne, Glossy from Tithof Tile in Northbrook.
The flooring is 7″ wide Rustic Red/White Oak flooring, micro-beveled on all four edges with a hand-scraped face and distressing from being hit and dented. The stain was custom blended on site and finished with and finished with (2) coats of Glista finish with hardender. (via Catherine Schager Designs)
2. The backsplash tile is a 3 x 6 Calacatta tile from United Tile in Los Angeles, California. The lower cabinets are painted in Worsted from Farrow & Ball, while the upper cabinets are Benjamin Moore paint. Chantilly Lace – OC-65, Satin Finish. The drawer pulls are from Richard Watson hardware. Countertops are white Caesarstone. The fridge is made by Liebherr. The stove vent hood is a Miele slide-out, great for small kitchens and they come with recirculation vents. The floors are stained plain-sawn white oak. (via Lauren Rubin Architecture)
3. Light gray cabinets with a slightly darker gray subway tile keep the northern exposure light and airy in this beautiful kitchen. The backsplash is 3×6 Adex/color Eucalyptus. A wood look porcelain plank is used on the floor. (via The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn)
4. The backsplash tile is from Ann Sacks, called Context Jasper 1×11. The light fixture is the Strada Large Oval Chandelier, Aged Iron by Visual Comfort. (via GOGO Design Group)
5. This L-shaped kitchen features gray kitchen cabinets custom painted to match Sherwin Williams Dovetail Gray. Crafted out of Hard Maple, these cabinets were designed in Penn Line cabinet style featuring Blum 71B hinges. The backsplash is a tile that Standard Tile Imports directly imports. It is called 3×12 Pane Blanco. It is a straight-edged tile. The flooring is a real wood floor, and it is MinWax Dark Walnut, 3 coats Oil-based Satin Finish. (via Stonington Cabinetry & Designs)
6. This beautiful classic kitchen features warm wood flooring, a gray island, white perimeter shaker cabinets, subway tile backsplash, stainless steel appliances, gray countertops, and a wood plank ceiling that compliments the warm wood flooring. (via KC Drafting & Design)
7. The perimeter cabinets are painted in Sherwin Williams – SW 6172 Hardware and the island is Rift White Oak stained in Sherwin Williams – SW 3027 Driftwood. The brick is Carolina Brick, cut brick veneer in Savannah Gray. Garden State Tile carries it. Dimensions: The range wall is about 14′. The cabinetry around the sink is about 12′ and the island is about 10′ long. (via Laslo Custom Kitchens)
8. This kitchen features a minimalist, clean, industrial look that feels light, bright, and airy. The cabinets are a custom color through Siteline cabinetry, grout is light gray and the island is approximately 110”x36”. The ends of the island are shiplap material. The backsplash tiles are by Ceramic Tiles International, Del-Ray collection — available to the trade from Virginia Tile. Countertops are white quartz. The fridge is by Thermador. The ceilings are 9’. (via The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn)
9. A modern, Asian-inspired chef’s dream kitchen, features two-tone cabinetry and high-end appliances. An expansive island offers comfortable seating for four — Pike Counter & Bar Stools in Wood – Room & Board. The upper cabinets are a paint glaze combination called Pewter Oyster and the Lowers are a Maple with Ebony Stain, sourced from the Elmwood Fine Custom Cabinetry Line. Cabinet hardware is from Top Knobs. The backsplash tile is from Architectural Ceramics in Rockville, MD. Alva pendants are from Tech Lighting. The floor is white oak with a stain. Dimensions: 220 square feet, about 17 by 13 feet. (via Haus Interior Design)
10. This transitional style kitchen of a home in Miami, Florida features an open layout with gray shaker style cabinets and paneled appliances. The countertop material is Antico Brown Granite. The cabinet designer is Planning & Building, Inc. The floors are porcelain tile. (via Pegasus Builders)
11. In a San Francisco loft, the existing cabinets in this peninsula kitchen were painted in Temptation 1609 | Benjamin Moore. The hanging brass shelves were custom designed. The cabinet hardware was purchased at Forge Hardware Studio. The backsplash tile is called Stateroom Thassos, purchased at Artistic Tile in San Francisco. The stools are from H.D. Buttercup. (via Deniece Duscheone Design)
12. An Arts and Crafts home in Northern California features this beautiful kitchen with walls painted in Dove Wing OC-18 | Benjamin Moore and cabinets painted in Graystone 1475 | Benjamin Moore. The cabinet hardware is from Emtek. The countertops are Caesarstone in Misty Carrara and they are honed. The backsplash tile is Barbara Barry – MADE by ANN SACKS. The floor color is a custom mix of Minwax stains including the colors Antique Brown, Coffee Brown, and Ebony. (via Suzanne Childress Design)
13. An urban farmhouse in Tennesse features this beautiful kitchen with gray cabinetry, a white subway tile backsplash, white countertops, and stainless steel appliances. The range hood is custom fabricated out of reclaimed wood. The pendant lights are made by Progress Lighting — Model Number: PP531120, in Antique Bronze. The hardwood flooring is from Shaw Floors in the color Chestnut. (via Burge Building Consultants)
14. The cabinet color is Benjamin Moore Hazy Skies OC-48. The island is 65″ long by 46″ wide, stained oak. The knobs are the Aubrey knob from Restoration Hardware- 3/4″ diameter. The pulls are the Hanson Pulls- also by RH. The countertop material is Calacatta Oro Marble. The refrigerator is a 42″ Kitchenaid and the windows are by a company called ‘Sierra Pacific.’ The light fixture is the Victorian Hotel Pendant available at Restoration Hardware.
The counter stools are the Tolix Marais Barstool from Design Within Reach. The floors are a pre-finished product by Navarre. The color is ‘Montauban’. The top layer is distressed white oak. The room is 17′ x 11′-6″, with a ceiling height of 9′-2″ high. See the rest of this gorgeous home here: Classic cottage in Mill Valley offers elegant yet comfortable living. (via Heydt Designs)
15. A mid-century modern kitchen remodel in Lincoln, MA features large windows connected with nature. The cabinets are made from medium-density fibreboard (MDF) which is stronger and denser than particleboard, with a matte painted finish. The backsplash tile is Heath Ceramics in Dimensional Oval. The color is Chalk and it’s a matte finish. See the rest of this inspiring home here: Mid-century modern remodel in Massachusetts opens to the outdoors. (via Flavin Architects)
16. The cabinets are painted in Sage Mountain 1488 | Benjamin Moore. The custom copper countertops with an integral sink and backsplash were fabricated by Brooks Custom in Mt. Kisco, New York. The industrial wood/pipe shelving system was a custom design using industrial pipe fittings with 2 1/2″ thick reclaimed wood shelving, sealed only with oil. The floors are the Marmoleum Real sheet material: the field is Sahara / 3174 and the inset detail is Red Copper / 3870. (via TOLA architecture)
17. Located in the beautiful Puget Sound, this stunning kitchen features clean lines with elements of nature. The custom oak cabinets were stained with a custom blend. The island, floating shelves, and beams are fabricated using reclaimed lumber. The island countertop and hood are NEOLITH in Iron Copper (a durable porcelain countertop material). The perimeter countertops are Lapitec. Backsplash Tile: Pental Inessence series Porcelain; Color: Grigio random mix; Size: 6″ x 48″. The tile is a straight-set pattern with 1/8” grout lines. The counter stools are the Glamour Adan Brown Faux Leather/Iron Counter Stool in dark brown. (via Alinda Morris Interior Design)
18. This sophisticated kitchen in Texas features a warm and inviting color scheme. The countertops are granite – Neptune Bordeaux from AG&M. The backsplash is Travertine tiles. The island dimensions are 8′-0″ x 5’6″. Over the island, the light fixtures are the Nuvo Odessey 4-Light Incandescent Vintage Brass Clear Pendants. The range hood is a special custom design made of stainless steel and Riviera Beige limestone. The floors are polished Crema Marfil. (via ADesign by Gustavo)