‘Tis the season to pull out your treasured holiday decorations and transform your living room into a Christmas winter wonderland. Year after year, collected family treasures bring warm memories as you pull them out of your storage containers. You may wish to layer in some new holiday decor, mixing old with new is the best way to keep up with the new trends.
Holiday ornaments can also be DIY’d, whether it be hanging pinecones with ribbon, spray painting ornaments, snipping craft paper snowflakes, or creating your own garland, the possibilities are endless. The living room is the best spot to begin your holiday decorations, as it is typically the most popular place in your home to place your Christmas tree.
You may wish to begin your holiday decorating with your tree, especially if it is a faux tree. A color scheme will help to set the tone for the rest of the space. Some decorators like to begin with a Christmas sign or a favorite holiday accessory to use as inspiration for the rest of the space. If you have a fireplace, it can be a wonderful focal point, decorating it with Christmas garland, stockings, and bells.
Don’t forget to layer in some festive and warm accessories such as throws, pillows, blankets, and other personalized touches that will add to your overall decorating theme. Continue below to see some fabulous ideas on how to transform your living room, including further resources and a link to the Instagram accounts for further tutorials on how to get started. So grab your favorite warm beverage and get ready to be inspired!
Tell Us: Which one of these Christmas living room decorating ideas do you find most inspiring? Let us know in the Comments below!
1. Flocked Christmas Tree. This beautiful living room features a flocked 8-foot @kingofchristmas tree. To decorate this tree, start with beads, then ribbon, then stems, and ornaments last. White mesh ribbon is bubbled throughout the tree, using roughly 2 1/2 rolls. The reindeer on the coffee table is from @potterybarn. Grounding this space, the area rug is from @boutiquerugs. (via @blessed_ranch)
2. Winter Glow. This stunning living room features the twinkle of candlelight and pre-lit decor for a magical ambiance. To get a simple yet elegant look this Christmas, decorate your fireplace with garland, stockings, candles, and lanterns accented with a large pre-lit tree — all sourced from Pottery Barn. (via @potterybarn)
3. Cozy Living Room. This warm and inviting living room has a wonderful wintery feel with its red and white color scheme. This space features flocked Christmas trees from @fraserhillfarm. The hand-knit blanket is from @nuzzieco. The fireplace mantel is draped with a flocked garland, large bells, and stockings from @vhc_brands. The stack of candles inside the fireplace casts a magical glow, sourced from @lamp.lust. (via @drivewaytodreams_crystal)
4. Classic Red & White Christmas. This gorgeous red and white color scheme features a flocked tree from Lowes adorned with red and white ornaments and frosted berry picks heavily layered at the top of the tree and tucked into branches all the way down the tree. Above the mantel, a flocked wreath matches the decoration of the tree. A poinsettia garland decorates the fireplace mantel along with stockings, small trees, and reindeer. (via Pinterest)
5. Merry & Bright. This beautiful Christmas-decorated living room has a classic red, white, and green theme that is warm and cozy. Twinkle lights help to bring a magical glow to this space. The garland adorning the fireplace mantel is from Hobby Lobby. On the hearth, the basket is filled with greenery, white frosted tree twigs, some holly berries, and battery-operated wire lights for a magical glow. (via @wowilovethat)
6. Christmas Magic. The Believe sign inspired the decor for this room, layered atop the fireplace mantel. A beautiful garland, silver trees, and candles from @homegoods add to the beautiful aesthetic. The “Believe” sign and tree star are from @krumpetshomedecor. The arched mirror on the mantel provides a backdrop for the holiday decor, sourced from @kirklands. The stockings are from @potterybarn. In the corner, a large flocked tree is decked out with red, white, and silver ornaments, wooden candy canes, and beautiful ribbons. (via @nissalynninteriors)
7. Lights All Aglow. This warm and inviting living room is illuminated by beautiful Christmas trees sourced from @walmart. The “Believe in the Magic of Christmas” sign is from @thegrayhousedesignco. The Santa sign inspired the design scheme of this space — red with pops of pink. The mirror layered behind the sign is from @target. The Santa list on the dining table is just white craft paper and the list was hand-written with a sharpie marker. (via @cherished_treasures_)
8. May Your Days be Merry and Bright. This cozy and cheerful space is decked out with garlands, string lights, and a flocked Christmas tree. Add layers of texture with pillows and throws. Similar lighted houses on the fireplace mantel can be found at Target. A roaring fire brings warmth on a cold winter’s day and adds to the magic of this beautiful space. (via @dining_delight)
9. Oh Christmas Tree. The theme for this Christmas tree is blue, green, gold, and tartan plaid. Creating a beautiful tree begins with the ribbon. Adding ribbon to your tree makes it look elegant while adding loads of texture. The width of the ribbon is 2.5 inches. Get the video tutorial at the provided link on how to put this tree together. (via @lifebyleanna)
10. A Merry Rustic Christmas. This magical and beautiful living room is adorned with fresh holiday evergreens on the fireplace mantel. Cozy knit stockings with name tags hang from the mantel, adding color and texture. The pair of deer on the coffee table is from @jcpenney. (via @hipandhumblestyle)
11. Tis The Season. This Christmas-decorated living room has a welcoming, cozy vibe with rustic elements and a joyful feel. On the fireplace mantel, the asymmetrical garland style brings a beautiful focal point to this space. For the garland, a strand of cedar-looking greenery from Pier 1, is layered with several other branches of Christmas greens/berries poked into the corner. Inspiring the decor of this space, the “Tis The Season” sign is from @krumpetshomedecor. Layered behind the sign is an antique 6-pane window plaque from @kirklands. The tree collar is from @target, while the flocked Christmas tree is from @kingofchristmas. (via @simple.joy.at.home)
12. Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas. This living room is magical, nostalgic, and gorgeous. On the wall above the fireplace mantel is a @samsungus Frame TV to display your favorite Christmas artwork, like this wintry cabin in the woods. The Christmas tree was sourced from @kingofchristmas, while the rocking horse and Santa mug are from @anthropologie. The “Peace on Earth” accent pillow is from @nestofpetals. Underneath the gorgeous garland, are stockings with charming stocking tags sourced from @simplyinspireddesignco. (via @velveteenandgrace)
13. Home for the Holidays Christmas Tree. The Christmas tree is an 8′ King Noble Fir with 600 Warm White LED Lights from @kingofchristmas. The tree collar is from Target. Two different types of garland are layered on the mantel from Hobby Lobby. To make it full, some cypress stems from Hobby Lobby are layered in. (via @simplyinspireddesignco)
14. Darling Holiday Mantel. This beautiful setup features gold bells, shiny ribbon, and wood stocking tags by @simplyinspireddesignco. The asymmetrical designed 60” cedar garland is from @nearlynaturalfloral. The stocking hooks, battery-operated twinkle lights, brass candlesticks, and wood holders are from Target. (via @blessed_ranch)
15. A Cozy Rustic Vibe. In this cozy living room, the stockings from @potterybarn were hung by the chimney with care. Two 6-foot Bristlecone Garlands drape over the fireplace mantle and were sourced from @homestead.city.dwelling. Accenting the garland, the bells are from @kirklands. The small decorated tree is from @michaelsstores. (via @homestead.city.dwelling)
16. The Red Sled. A vintage sled with a pair of skates sets the tone for this living room design scheme. A beautiful flocked tree is adorned with a burlap “Merry Christmas” ribbon, red and white ornaments, and white poinsettia and berry picks. On the fireplace mantel, multi-colored bottle brush trees and puff white pom pom garland provides the finishing touches to this cozy space. (via @jodie.thedesigntwins)
17. Joyful Christmas Tree. This stunning Christmas tree features a color scheme of red, white, gold, and silver. To create this tree, the ribbon is the first decoration that gets threaded through the branches. Layer in the multi-hued ornaments and cranberry picks. Cozy red accent pillows contrast beautifully with the white chairs and textured throws. (via @homehydrangea)
18. Magical Christmas Tree. This gorgeous 9-foot Fraser fir Christmas tree is from @balsamhill. TIP: If your tree collar does not fit around the stand, cut it in the back where it cannot be seen. The Samsung Frame TV features art from @collectionprints. The “Christmas Nest” candle on the coffee table has a festive and light fragrance of pines and red currant, sourced from @hiveandhomeshop. (via @thedailynest)
19. Christmas Living Room. This inviting space features a beautifully decorated fireplace mantel with an asymmetrical garland from @figandcompany. White knit stockings are hung with Command Hooks, while candlesticks add a magical ambiance when the lights go down. For the Christmas tree, decorate in layers, beginning with the berry stems, pine cone stems, wood beads, large ornaments, snowflakes, and then the small ornaments. When finished, layer in some more pine cones. (via @ourwintonhome)
20. Whimsical Color Scheme. This cozy living room offers a wonderful glow and an abundance of warmth. The Christmas tree is from @balsamhill, while the tree collar is from Hearth and Hand from @target. The decorations on the tree are from @worldmarket. A large floor mirror from @athropologie provides a beautiful backdrop to this magical space. Grounding this space, the area rug is from @rugs_usa. (via @patina_pine)
21. A Winter Wonderland. This flocked queen from @kingofchristmas features a magical mix of black, bronze, brass, silver, and cream ornaments along with a little brown velvet ribbon. The collection of bells, stockings, and garlands can be found at TJMaxx, Wayfair, and Marshalls. Similar bells are the Hanging Harmony Giant Cow Bells found on Amazon. On the wall, the Samsung Frame TV shows a beautiful wintry forest scene. (via @jensgatheringnest)
22. Traditional Christmas Red. A Christmas decor scheme of red, white, and hints of green decorates this cozy living room. The “Merry Christmas” sign is from @olivebranchfarmhouse. Garland with string lights and illuminated ceramic Christmas village houses frame the mantel, while large silver bells are hung at varying heights with red and white ribbons. (via @wmdesignhouse)